Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Do you really stop and savor?



Life goes passing by faster than I realize these days. When growing up a week felt like months and months felt like years. Now time just flies and I somehow never know if I'm coming or going. I guess life has a way of keeping us on our toes now doesn't it?

Here it is the end of June 1/2 way through 2010 already. I haven't done many exciting journeys to proclaim. I wish I had. Work ties up alot of time but that's what happens when you choose the hospitality business. I have made a few cook outs with my friends this year that have been truly a treat. Time with friends and family mean the most to me and when I get those moments I grab onto them with both hands. I enjoy the relaxing and laughter that come with these special times.

A few weeks ago I experienced a 1st. It's taken me 44 years but I am finally able to say I have seen the Liberty Bell. My job took me to the Philadelphia area for two weeks. While there I actually had a day off to tour the old city. My love of history grabbed me by storm and off I went. I enjoyed my afternoon wandering around learning about Philly. On the day I was to drive back towards Pittsburgh I saw a billboard to my favorite town Gettysburg. I couldn't resist. It was as if my car was in auto pilot and I had no choice. What an amazing afternoon that was. Re enactors were actually in town that day and I was also able to tour the new visitors center and museum. Yes this was definately a great week to fill me with history at it's best.

While I was away for work I was able to eat at two amazing Restaurants. Redstone Grille and Devons Seafood. Devons is a sister location in the company I work for and that was a "wow" experience for me. The menu and service were out of this world and to be able to sit there and look outside onto this park that was like Philly's version of Central Park was alot of fun. The people & dog watching was endless. And to have food that was not the same as what I eat and serve everyday was truly a treat.

This summer I have made a decision that has altered my summertime cooking. One of the greatest things about summer is cooking outside on the grill with fresh foods and enjoy the beauty of the great outdoors. Ever since I can remember I've owned a gas grill since moving out on my own. This summer I have taken a jump back in time to charcoal grilling where Grilling and Chillin is what it's all about. Many of us like the convienece of the gas grill but once you step back and have an item cooking on a wood/charcoal grill you realize this is how food should really taste.

The more I think about it does one stop and truly think about the food they just bit into? How was the texture? Was the flavor what you were expecting or something totally off the wall? Would you get that again? Life is short, take a moment and think about what it is you are eating and savor the moment and savor the flavor.

2 comments:

Claus said...

What a great post! :-)
When reading about the Liberty Bell, I had a National Treasure moment. They go there after all, to get important clues, and ever since, I thought it would be great to visit.
Food...what a treat! especially when done with love. Whe celebrated Father's Day at my brother's this year, since he is a new dad now. It was interesting how you suggest to enjoy food, and really appreciate it, because that is exactly what we did that day. All the menu consisted of traditional Guatemalan food; simple dishes, but rich and delicious. All of them were "mother-made", so not only the event was special, but the food was too. Never has traditional Guatemalan food tasted that delicious.

have a lovely day!

savanahgalee said...

Claus I think thats what's important. Stoping and smelling the roses so to speak. We rush so much in our busy days that we don't stop and appreciate what and who is right before us.